15 g./4 oz. (1/2 cup) 'seed' tapioca from the baking section of your local supermarket
2 cups water
1/8 tsp. salt
1 can coconut milk or 'lite' coconut milk
1 tsp. syrup or maple syrup to serve
5. Fresh Mango's
1. Cover the tapioca with 1 cup water for 15-20 minutes, or until granules expand slightly. Avoid over-soaking, or the tapioca will not be able to hold its shape. Pour off excess water.
2. Place tapioca, pinch of salt, and 2 cups water in a pot over high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally, adding a little more water (if necessary) to prevent tapioca from bubbling and "spitting".
3. When tapioca turns soft and a little "gooey", switch off heat and place lid on tight. Let tapioca sit at least 10 minutes - the residual heat inside the tapioca will finish turning all of the 'seeds' soft and translucent.
4. Let tapioca cool on the stove-top, then cover with lid and refrigerate until cold. At this point it will thicken and gel together.
5. To serve: Scoop out about 1/4 cup or more per person of the cold tapioca and place in serving glasses or bowls. Pour 1/4 to 1/3 cup coconut milk over each portion and stir to mix - note that this pudding should be on the runny side. You will have to stir quite well to distribute the tapioca. Finally, add a little syrup to each portion (about 1 Tbsp., to taste). Each person can add more according to desired sweetness. Add slices of fresh mango, if desired. Enjoy this tropical coconut-ty delight.