2 cups pearl pulses nyayo beans
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
½ tbsp. ginger paste
4 large tomatoes, blended
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. curry powder
½ tsp. salt
2 stock cubes
1 tsp. red chili powder (optional)
¼ cup fresh coriander, chopped
2 tbsp. ghee or cooking oil
1. Wash the beans and soak them in cold water for 30 minutes. Drain the water once done and set aside.
2. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the beans and cook for 1 hour, or until the beans are cooked through. Keep adding water when the pan runs dry. Set aside once cooked.
3. Heat the ghee/oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions until soft. Add the garlic and ginger paste. Stir-fry for a few seconds while stirring.
4. Next, add the powdered spices and stock cubes then add the beans and stir to coat with the mixture. Add the blended tomatoes and mix gently with the beans. Season with salt to your preference. Add enough water to get the consistency you want for your stew.
5. Cover the pot and cook on low heat for 20 - 30 minutes. Take off the heat, garnish with coriander, and serve with steamed Pearl Pishori rice.