1 cup sabudana/ tapioca pearls
4 medium potatoes/aloo
½ cup peanuts/mungphali
1 tsp. cumin seeds/jeera (optional)
1-2 green chilies finely chopped
1 tsp. finely chopped ginger/adrak
2 tsp. lime juice (optional)
few chopped coriander leaves/dhania (optional)
1.5 tsp. sugar or as required
3 tbsp. kuttu ka atta/buckwheat flour or amaranth flour (optional)
oil for frying
1. Soak the sabudana or sago in water for 5 hours at least or overnight.
2. Drain of all the water completely from the soaked sabudana.
3. Boil the potatoes. Peel and then mash them. Mix the mashed potatoes and sabudana together.
4. On a skillet or in a shallow pan, roast the groundnuts/peanuts till they become crisp. Cool and then coarsely powder in a mortar-pestle or in a dry grinder.
5. Add the peanuts, rock salt, sugar, ginger, green chilies, coriander leaves and lemon juice. Mix the entire mixture well.
6. Now take some portion of the mixture in your hands and shape them into flat round vadas or patties. Do this till all the mixture is utilized.
7. Deep fry the sabudana vadas till golden brown. Serve sabudana vada with sweet curd/yoghurt or green chutney. You could also serve sabudana vadas with tomato sauce.