pieces of carrots, beans, cauliflower, potato 300-400 gms. of veggies
basmati long grain rice 750 grams
curd 2 cups
ginger garlic paste 1 ½ teaspoon
chopped onions 4
red chili powder 2 teaspoons
turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
salt 4 ½ teaspoons
chopped mint leaves 1 ½ bunch
chopped coriander 1 ½ bunch
whole green chilies 2 to 3
grinded green chilies (paste) 4
garam masala powder 1 teaspoon
caraway seeds (shahzeera) 1 ½ teaspoon
cinnamon (small sticks) 2 to 4
cardamom slit 2
bay leaves 3
ghee 4 tablespoon
oil for frying
1. In a frying pan, add oil for frying and when it is hot, add chopped onions, fry till they turn brown or turn crispy. Keep it aside.
2. In a cooking saucepan, add veggies, curd, ginger garlic paste, red chili powder, turmeric powder, 1 ½ teaspoon of salt, ½ bunch chopped mint leaves, ½ bunch chopped coriander, 4 grinded green chilies, 1 ½ teaspoon of salt, garam masala, one squeezed lemon juice, half of the fried onions. Marinate the vegetables and keep it aside for 1-3 hours. Half cook the marinated vegetables by adding onion oil. (Oil used for frying onions)
3. In a separate pan, add 10 glasses of water. Add cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, handful of chopped mint leaves, handful of chopped coriander, 3 whole green chilies, ½ teaspoon of caraway seeds, bay leaves and 3 teaspoons of salt.
4. When the water comes to boil, add washed rice, add ghee. Semi cook the rice, remove spices floating on top and drain the water.
5. To the half cooked vegetables, add semi cooked rice spread in a layer.
6. To each layer, add 2-3 tsp of milk mixed with 4-5 sticks of saffron, add handful of fried onions, handful of chopped mint leaves and coriander, ½ teaspoon caraway seeds and ghee.
7. Seal the top edges of thick bottom biryani vessel or pan with dough and tightly top the lid. Cook it on low flame for 10-15 min.