12 -18 large pasta shells, cooked
1 lb. ground beef
3 tablespoons taco seasoning
1⁄2 cup water
1 onion, chopped
1 1⁄2 cups salsa, divided
1 cup grated cheese, divided (jalapeno Monterey Jack, cheddar)
750 ml tomato sauce
chili powder, to taste
green onion, for garnish
1. Brown ground beef and drain.
2. Add seasoning, water, onion, and 1/2 cup of salsa and 1/4 cup cheese.
3. Mix together remaining salsa, tomato sauce, and chili powder.
4. Spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking pan.
5. Fill each shell with the ground beef mixture and place in pan.
6. Pour remaining sauce on top. Sprinkle on the rest of the cheese on top and garnish with green onion. Cover and freeze at this point.
7. Defrost overnight and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. (Cook from frozen for 2 hours at 300°F).
8. If desired sprinkle additional cheese on top after baking and return to oven for 5 minutes longer or until cheese melts.