1 extra-large chocolate Swiss roll
2 litres of ice cream
choc chip cookies (optional)
1. Carefully line a 2-litre glass bowl with cling film. Slice the Swiss roll into slices, roughly 1 sm thick. Lay the slices inside the bowl, covering the bottom and sides. Tear up pieces of the leftover cake to fill in any holes.
2. If you’re not using a soft scoop ice cream, it helps if you remove the ice cream from the freezer for 10 minutes or so beforehand to give it a chance to soften a little, but don’t let it melt completely.
3. Crunch the cookies in to small pieces and mix into ice cream. Spoon the ice cream into the cake bowl. Cover with cling film again and freeze again for an hour.
4. When you’re ready to serve, remove the cling film and place a plate on top. Carefully turn the bowl over onto the plate and the cake should come free. If not, warm the bowl a little with your hands.
5. Slice into wedges and tuck right in.