4 cups broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
2 parsnips, cut into small pieces or shredded match-stick thick
1 cup onion, diced
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth use vegetable broth to keep vegetarian
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp mustard powder
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup half and half
salt and pepper
1. Cut broccoli into small florets and add to slow cooker.
2. Shred or cut parsnips into match stick sized pieces and add to slow cooker.
3. Chop onion and add to slow cooker.
4. Add garlic and mustard powder.
5. Add vegetable or chicken stock, cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
6. After 6 hours, remove lid and use an immersion blender to blend in some of the vegetable pieces. If you prefer some veggie chunks, don't blend it fully.
7. About 30 minutes prior to serving, add half and half. Temper half and half by adding little bits of hot soup to it to help raise it's temperature a bit. After tempering, stir half and half into slow cooker.
8. Switch pot from low to high and add cheese. stir and return cover to allow cheese to melt into liquid. This should take 15-20 minutes. Stir to mix melted cheese with rest of ingredients.