1 long English cucumber
1 small red or white onion
3 tablespoons chopped dill
2 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar or more to taste
3 tablespoons neutral-tasting oil
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Slice the cucumber very thinly. Use a mandolin for best results.
2. Place the cucumber slices to a bowl. Use your hands to unstick the slices that might stick together.
3. Chop the onion very finely and give it to the bowl together with the dill.
4. Place the vinegar, sugar, some salt and pepper to a small bowl. Whisk to combine and add the oil. Whisk until the mixture emulsifies slightly.
5. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and combine, preferably with your hands, this way you will be able to unstick even more cucumber slices and to coat them nicely with the oil and vinegar dressing.
6. Adjust the taste with more salt, pepper and sugar if necessary.
7. Serve as suggested above.