3 cups chunky stewed fruit
60g low fat butter / margarine
1/3 cup sugar or substitute
1 cup self-rising flour, sifted
½ cup low-fat milk
low-fat ice-cream or cream, to serve
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees F / 177 degrees C / Gas 4. Moderate.
2. Spoon stewed fruit into the base of a 20cm pie plate or casserole dish.
3. In a bowl, beat spread and sugar together until creamy. Add egg, beating well. Lightly fold in flour, alternately with milk. Spread evenly over fruit.
4. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until top is firm and golden. Serve warm with ice-cream or cream.
5. Stewed fruit: You will need 2 large apples and 2 pears, peeled (optional), cored and chopped. Place 1cm water in a saucepan with 1-2 tablespoons of sugar (or equivalent sweetener), a clove and a strip of lemon peel. Bring to boil, stirring.
6. Add fruit. Cook gently, covered, for about 10 minutes until tender.