1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 carrots, chopped
2 teaspoons sodium-free chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
4 cups low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
2 (15 ounce) cans low-sodium kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low-sodium stewed tomatoes
salt, to taste
1. Heat a large pot over medium heat, and warm olive oil.
2. Add chopped yellow onion, minced garlic, and chopped carrots; then cook, stirring as necessary, until tender (about 5 minutes).
3. Add chili powder and ground cumin; and cook, stirring constantly, for 60 seconds. Add chicken broth, 1 can of kidney beans, frozen whole kernel corn, and freshly ground black pepper; and bring to a boil.
4. While soup is heating, place stewed tomatoes and second can of kidney beans in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth; then add to soup. Add salt to taste.
5. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Let cool a bit before serving.
6. Nutrition Info Serving Size: 1 (358 g) Servings Per Recipe: 4 Calories 399.4 Calories from Fat 47 12%Total Fat 5.3 g 8% Saturated Fat 0.8 g 3% Cholesterol 0 mg 0% Sodium 30 mg 1%Total Carbohydrate 71.7 g 23% Dietary Fiber 19.1 g 76% Sugars 3.3 g 13% Protein 21.7 g 43