1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons corn oil
2 tablespoons ice cold water (may need more)
3 egg whites, divided
3 large apples (Granny Smith or similar type)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 lemon, zest of
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 cup frozen apple juice
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1. In a large bowl sift flour and salt together. Stir in oil and water. Knead dough 3-4 times until moist and elastic. Roll into ball, cover, refrigerate for 10 minutes.
2. Place between 2 sheets of wax paper. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Place in 8" pie plate. Trim edges and press with fork.
3. Poke a few holes in empty pie shell. Brush with 1 egg white and bake for 5 minutes at 350-degrees F. Remove from oven. While crust is cooking start preparing apples. Peel, core, and slice apples. Drop apples slices into bowl of cold water with 1 TB lemon juice. Drain and dry before using.
4. Mix apple slices with half of lemon rind, cinnamon, nutmeg, coriander, and apple juice concentrate. Turn into pie shell.
5. Place in 350 degrees F / 177 degrees C Gas 4 Moderate, oven and bake for 12-15 minutes. While pie is cooking, whip 2 egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add 1/2 tsp lemon rind and cream of tartar. Continue beating until thick. Remove pie from oven when done, pile meringue on top of it in decorative swirls, top with remaining lemon rind. Return to oven.
6. Bake for 5-7 minutes longer or until meringue is golden brown.